Natarajan's blog

Monday, September 27, 2004

 

Experiences at the RTO

I was at the Chennai West, Road Transport Office (RTO) today to get my learner's licence for driving Light Motor Vehicles(LMV). My college mates will remember that I took quite a few attempts to get my two wheeler licence.

When I was applying for the two wheeler licence I did not have any address proof documents with me. So I had to file for an affidavit and get it attested by a notary. This time around I had the ration card. So I expected the whole affair to be smooth.

I took an extended weekend last week and visited the RTO on Friday, September 17th. I paid the fees (Rs. 30) and submitted the completed application forms. I was turned off by the inspector with the reason that people should either apply for LMV through a driving institute or
have the documents of a vehicle on which the driving test will be conducted. This was not mentioned in the application forms for the Learner's licence. Naturally, I was quite peeved. I thought my visit to Chennai had gone waste. Actually that was not to be, I had a great time the following weekend with my family, visting the Elliots beach and the Fruit Shop on Greams road (Besant Nagar).

Luckily I did not have to wait for long before I had another go. I had an appointment at the American Consulate for my visa on September 28th. I decided to take another day off and visit the RTO with all the necessary documents. This time around i.e. September 27th today, I was successful. I took copies of documents of my neighbour's car. I got my Learner's licence.

A few tips for people going to the RTO office for the Learner's licences for LMV. This should be applicable for two wheelers also.
You would be submitting copies of the document along with your Learner's licence application form. The inspector will check the originals and return them to you. You do not have to undergo the written test if you already have a licence issued by the same RTO for a different category of vehicle than the one you are applying for now.

Another general tip, reach the RTO as early as possible. Being among the first applicants has its advantages. The officers are less irritable and you are more likely to meet honest, punctual officers if you are early and on time. Have all documents in place, you are less likely to be turned away if you have all the necessary documents. Do not give the officer a chance to turn you off. (some of them love doing so)


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

March 2004   April 2004   May 2004   June 2004   August 2004   September 2004   November 2004   February 2005   May 2005  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?